Born 16 March 1952
Lower Technical School 1965-1968, Carpenter diploma
Middle Technical School, 1968-1970, Civil Engineering Structures
Higher Technical School, 1970-1975, Diploma Building Technique
Delft University of Technology 1975-1981, Diploma Masters Civil Engineering
Delft University of Technology 1998 - PhD in Civil Engineering titled,
(TU-Delft) Densified veneer wood reinforced timber
joints with expanded tube fasteners.
1984 – 2004 Researcher at Chair of Timber Structures, Fac. Civil Eng. TU-Delft later changed to Steel & Timber Structures.
- Awarded a research grant of the Delft University Fund to perform structural timber research 1982-1983,
- In 1985 employed at the Faculty of Civil Engineering, TU-Delft, Section Timber Structures as Associate professor.
- In 1995 awarded the Royal IBC-price for his research on timber connections.
- Initiated and managed European wide research projects, presented research results in numerous conferences and guest lectures.
- Jury member of Timber Innovation Price 2000.
- Technical secretary of the Dutch Structural Timber Code committee 1988.
- Chairman of the Dutch Structural Timber Code committee since 1990.
- Member of the Dutch society of Timber designers.
- Dutch representative in Cost-action E8 and E24 (reliability of timber structures) of the European Community. Member of CIB/W18, RILEM-MTE ,
IUFRO-s 5.02, ISO/TC165 and Dutch representative in European Standardisation CEN/TC124 – Structural Timber.
- Head of Dutch delegation in European standardization CEN/TC124 – Timber Structures.
- Convenor of CEN/TC124/WG1 – Test methods of the Comitee of European Standardization.
- Selected as one of the five code writer of Eurocode 5 – Design of Timber Structures.
- Spend a 6 month sabbatical at University of British Columbia, dep. Civil Engineering, 2002
- Participated in a prise winning research project “the Development of a timber Guardrail” with the Dutch public prise for building 2005.
- Scientific committee member of the 9th World Conference on Timber Engineering 2006